Preventative medicine for men and women
Preventive medicine is a medical investigation, such as a yearly physical checkup, which is aimed at preventing health problems in an apparently healthy person. It is in contrast to the type of medical tests you get when you have specific symptoms that need to be diagnosed.
In the preventive medicine the doctor may draw blood or take Urine and Stool samples to check the level of certain substances in your body. Some of the important tests your Doctor may request are explained below. Your Doctor will usually advise you on how frequently you will need to take these tests as this will depend on your age and sex, your present state of health and your risk factors.
Full Blood Count (FBC) or Complete Blood Count (CBC)
What does "Full Blood Count" mean?
The full blood count is the measure of the concentration of White blood cells, Red blood cells, and Platelets in the blood and helps detect a wide range of disorders, including: Anemia, Infections and Leukaemia.
- Red blood cells carry oxygen and low levels are seen in Anemia.
- White blood cells fight infection and could be high if there is an Infection or Leukemia.
- Platelets help with blood clotting. Abnormally high or low levels can be seen in Anaemia, Bleeding disorders, Iron deficiency, Leukaemia etc.
Kidney Function Test
- Urea measures the amount of Urea that is in your blood. Healthy kidneys remove Urea and other waste products from your blood.
- A Urea test can reveal whether your Urea levels are higher than normal, suggesting that your Kidneys may not’ be working properly.
- Creatinine is a chemical waste product that is produced by muscle metabolism and by eating meat.
- Healthy Kidneys remove Creatinine and other waste products from your blood.
- If your Kidneys are not functioning properly, an increased level of Creatinine may accumulate in your blood.
Liver Function Test
- Your doctor may conduct Liver Function tests if you have Liver disease, you drink Alcohol excessively, you are taking medication that can harm the Liver or you have symptoms of Liver or Bile System disease. (Nausea and Vomiting, Abdominal pain or Yellow skin.)
- The Liver filters and processes blood as it circulates through the body. It metabolizes nutrients, detoxifies harmful substances, makes Blood clotting Proteins, and performs many other vital functions.
- The cells in the liver contain enzymes that carry out these chemical reactions. When liver cells are damaged or destroyed, the enzymes in the cells leak out into the blood, where they can be measured by blood tests.